Friday, March 23, 2012

Little Apples Dress and Nightgown-Finish it up Friday!

This has been a productive week!  Last weekend, I attended the Front Range Modern Quilt Guild Meeting in the morning on Saturday and the sew in the afternoon.  I started cutting out this dress, and I tried to sew it together while I was there, with no luck since I forgot to bring the pattern instructions!  I thought I remembered how to make this style dress because I had made so many before, but I was combining patterns-it didn't help that I was talking while I was sewing.:)

Therefore, I woke up a little bit early on Sunday because I had to finish it!  It really only took about an hour to put it together once I was focusing on it, and I love this little dress so much.  The Little Apples fabric is so perfect for a 2 1/2 year old's summer dress!  It is a pattern by Children's Corner-the Lucy, and I made a size three, which she should be able to wear through the summer and into next fall!


Ever since our Front Range Modern Quilt Guild retreat a couple of weeks ago, I have been wanting a serger.  Actually, I wanted one before that but I had never seen one in action, so I was a little bit afraid of them.  After the retreat, I set up my rss feed in Google Reader to subscribe through Craigslist to any mention of serger that came up.  About four weeks later, this Janome popped up, and I called them up that day!  I actually was searching through Colorado Springs (an hour south of me), Denver (where I live), and Birmingham (where my mom lives).  It was fascinating to me that in Birmingham over that time period only a few sergers were listed, but in Denver, there were 2-3 sergers a week!

 It works beautifully and the previous owner had only used it sporadically for burp pads over the last five year, and she had not used it at all this last year.  I got such a great deal on it, and it looks brand new.  My birthday is coming up in a few weeks, so this is my birthday present!  At the sew last Saturday, my friend Melissa showed me how to thread it, and now it is working like a champ!  There were at least four new sergers bought after that retreat, so I suppose we all drank that serger kool-aid.:)


Sunday, during nap time, I whipped out this little nightgown/dress for my daughter for the summer.  It was going to be a dress for everyday, but my husband thought it looked like a hospital gown. (What?)  It did look slightly weird over her long sleeve shirt, but really?  The unfinished edges are supposed to be raw edge since it is knit material, but I am not sure that I like them.  I may try doing a rolled hem to see if it makes it look a little nicer.  I like the fabric, and it will at least be cute as a nightgown.  My daughter loves it, and ultimately, that is all that matters.  The pattern is Tee for Two by Patterns by Figgy's.



 
 I posted about my Sushi Quilt earlier this week, but I wanted to share it again since this is my Finish It Up Friday post.:) I finished sewing on the binding last Friday night, and I brought it to our guild meeting on Saturday, which is always a great motivator to finish!  I was a pattern tester for Sonja Callaghan of Artisania.  She designed this "I  Love Sushi Quilt" using paper piecing.  It is such a fun quilt to make, and I am in love with how it turned out!  The pattern is super easy to follow, and it will be available soon for sale.  I will definitely be posting when it is up for sale, and you can keep an eye out at her blog or in her shop to grab your own pattern!

I am linking up with Amanda Jean at her Finish It Up Friday Post!    I am off work for Spring Break starting this afternoon at 3, and I must say that I am looking forward to sleeping in until 7 and going to the Zoo next week!  The icing on the cake is that it is going to be absolutely gorgeous here in Colorado with the high near 78(!) on Sunday.  I plan on being outside as much as possible to soak up that beautiful sunlight and going to the park as much as possible, too.  I miss going to the park when it is snowy and cold outside.  Maybe I can even sneak a lot of sewing in between now and next Friday to have another project to share soon!  Have a great weekend everybody!  Thank you for stopping by!

11 comments:

Katie B said...

I love the dresses you made! So cute! And it cracks me up that 4 sergers were purchased after your retreat. Someone should be getting commission!

Enjoy the beautiful weather and sleeping in until 7. I think you're officially a grown-up when that seems like a treat. :)

Amanda Jean said...

what great finishes this week, Audrey! thanks for linking up!

your serger is so cool! i've been thinking i need one, too. my hubby told me to buy one a few years ago for my birthday but i never did. i recently found someone who told me they would give me their's. she wants some quilt repair done, so there may be a swap going on soon. i'm excited at the thought of bartering for one! glad you are using yours. hurray!

Sara said...

that sushi quilt is fabulous!!!

Mrsblocko said...

I love the ring around the rosey dress. And the sushi quilt...Amazing. Congrats on your finishes!

Cutie and Company Quilts said...

That sushi quilt is adorable! Very well done, and all of my favorite types of sushi! Congrats on a great finish.

Jeff said...

Hey Audrey, it's Chrystal.
The Little Apples dress is so cute!! It really is perfect fabric for a little girl's dress. And the hospital gown is cute too, or whatever you decide to call it ;)
I sewed up the bubble dress on Sunday, OMG is it so precious! I am going to tackle the button holes tonite, after practicing on some scraps first. And then she's going to wear it for pictures tomorrow, I can't wait!
Thanks again for letting me borrow the pattern, I'll get it in the mail to you Monday.

Jeff said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
alidiza said...

I LOVE your sushi quilt!!! Have a great vacation: )

Beth said...

Everything you make is ADORABLE. You might try doing a double needle stitch on your knit hems, everything I read lately on sewing knits seems to employ that technique and it does seem to make it look more finished.
I am absolutely in love with my serger, glad I drank the kool aid. :)

Melissa said...

Haha!! "Drank the kool-aid"...haha!

Totally!

I almost have a friend in Germany convinced that she needs a serger, too! I would love to be getting some commission for my part in spreading the serger love! But, really, the props go to Traci for making so doggone many adorable dresses in one weekend.

Maybe for one of the show-and-tells, we should have a special "I serged this" theme! :)

I love the dresses you've made for Z. They're adorable!

Christina said...

I love that first dress, it looks so cute.

Christina @ Danillo Women's Silver black 3-button Pant Suit