Thursday, January 19, 2012

Swoon!

Last year I was dedicated to finishing up quilts, so my reward this year is the opportunity to start new ones!  Yay!  I have been hoarding two fat quarter stacks that I used birthday money last April to buy since last April with the idea that I would make my daughter two matching twin sized quilts for her future twin beds when she moves up to a big girl bed.  Right now she is 28 months and quite happy in her crib still, and we don't plan on moving her until it is necessary!  So, I am planning ahead. 

I was determined to wait until I found a pattern that I loved for her bed(s) before I used up my precious Pips.  I love the single girl quilt, and I seriously considered that pattern, but I felt like a lot of the people would end up decapitated, which is never a good thing. :) I do plan on making one of those eventually, but not with my pips.  It is such the perfect pattern for a little girl though!  I do plan on making a throw using some of my scraps from this project and others that blend to put into this room eventually... 

This past December I finally decided on the Swoon pattern, and all of a sudden it became a quilt-a-long hosted by Katy. This was my fortuitous moment where I decided that I was supposed to make this quilt!



Last weekend we had a sewing day with the Front Range Modern Quilt Guild, which is a fabulous group if you live in the Front Range area of Colorado from just south of Colorado Springs to Denver/Boulder (you should definitely join!), and my friend Kari was making a block for the Swoon-a-long, which I had already joined but hadn't started cutting.  She figured out a way to make the block a little easier by omitting some of the seams, but the caveat is you need a little more fabric.  I decided this was the way to go, and I quickly jumped on board. 

So, I made this block on Monday and finished it on Monday!  I did have to rip and rip and rip, but I would have been doing that anyway.  I think that happens anytime you are trying to beat the clock of when nap time ends!  I really love it, and Kari has a abbreviated version of how to do it on her blog, which will make sense if you have the pattern already.:)

I am very excited about this swoon-a-long, and if you haven't already joined, now is the perfect time!

6 comments:

Katie B said...

Swoon and the Pips are a match made in quilty heaven! Kari's method is very clever.

Mama Urchin said...

It looks so cute with those little pips in the center. I can't wait to see more of it!

SewAmy said...

I really like the Swoon block. This is going to be adorable as all your quilts are.

Lynette said...

What a great setting for
pips!

quirky granola girl said...

i love the swoon pattern. i want to make it one day, but i have to decide what fabrics i want mine in. yours will be an adorable twin blanket for your girl :)

Karen said...

Looks delicious! I like your finished (pink) quilt, too.